Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wilderness

The piece entitled "Wilderness" is another one of those pieces that I somehow just woke up and wrote. While I was in the shower I heard in my head 2 arpeggios that seemed to compliment eachother. (For those of you that don't know, an arpeggio is like a walk up or down a chord.) As soon as I got out of the shower I picked up my guitar and played each line twice. Immediately I started up my computer and wrote out the musical notation. I sensed the song would have a fantasy feel to it. I assigned a harp to the walks and then I decided to add a pulsating cello to give the piece an intense throb. I then picked out the melody on my guitar and assigned a "Bottle Blow" to be the instrument of choice as it seemed to have a very ancient sound to it (00.16). The piece needed percussion and so I used a wood block frequently knocking on the off-beats to add to the ancient rustic sound. I then decided to change the tone of the piece from what I felt was a dark sound to a much lighter more delicate tone (00.32) by playing an arpeggio of the relative major. I put the cello on the melody which wrote itself pretty easily and then picked out on my guitar another melody to put on top of it. I then allowed the cello to drift into the background (00.48) while still playing it's part as I introduced the new melody which was played by a chinese flute called an "Erhu". It was then easy to hear how the melody was supposed to end. I wanted to convey an almost lonely feel to the end as the piece would drift back into the darker sound and so I dropped the strings and wood block. Then I repeated everything that I already had, the result being the piece entitled "Wilderness". The entire piece I think I wrote in 2 days.

1 comment:

B-rucschetta said...

Not bad at all, little bro ;). I have to say out of the three, this one was my favorite. I think if every instrument was physically played, this piece would be on par with the Tran-Siberian Orchestra...at least in my humble opinion.