Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Beautiful Village

Quite some time ago, I woke up one morning thinking about this beautiful girl that I had recently gotten to know and I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to wake up next to my future wife for the first time after we had gotten married. In my mind I had painted this scene of waking up before her and pulling the covers over her shoulders. I could then envision her waking up to an empty bed with a trail of flowers leading to a dinning room table with breakfast on it, covered of course. On her empty plate was a folded note that read "Good Morning Beautiful". That morning I decided that it had been a few months since I had written anything new and so I decided I would work on something. I started with my guitar and created the accompaniment that is played by a harp in the recording. The harp was obviously lonely and so I added a few piano lines. I was nervous about creating a melody and so to stall I wrote a part for a string section to embellish the accompaniment. After listening to it a few times I decided that I like the string part so much that I felt it should take the role of the melody. For whatever reason I had this desire to have this piece capture the sound of home and so to create the feel of wooden floors I added a bass drum at the close of the main line (00.29). After the beginning part repeated I obviously had to allow the music to flow into something. This part really wrote itself as I couldn't imagine the piece going anywhere else. Before it was finished I could almost hear the piano echoing with slight variation the melody to add an almost dream-like feel to the composition (00.46). For the final part of the melody (01.19) I started with the relative minor of the key in which I was playing and started again with my guitar to pick out a very basic accompaniment. I then added the piano and all that was left was creating the final melody. Since I had already created an accompaniment I just listened to the music until I could hear in my head what I felt the melody was meant to be. I didn't want the sound to become bland so instead of putting strings on the melody I added a brass section (01.30). Since I wanted the final melody line to repeat I needed to add something to make it different from the first time it was played. To accomplish this I brought the strings and the bass drum back into the picture. For the second time the beginning melody is played (02.26) I decided to make it a little more powerful by putting the brass section in unison with the strings. I at the very end the brass section drops out to make for a delicate end (02.45). I originally entitled this piece "Waking up to the Sun" but later found the title "Waking up
Next to You" more appropriate.

1 comment:

DeeAnn said...

Lucky woman right? :)